My Weight Loss Blog

Search & Win

Visit My Gluten Free Living Blog

Looks Good In Polka Dots

Where it's not just about mothering, gluten free cooking and socially conscious living.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Yummy Beans...

Best ever black beans... sort of refried. (Gluten Free)

1/2 bag black beans .67
1 inch section of bacon (I chopped the ends off the entire package) .50
Fresh herbs from my kitchen
Dehydrated onions & garlic .10
Sea salt & black pepper

Soak beans overnight (better yet, sprout them for about 3 days).
Place bacon into a large stock pot and cook thoroughly, pieces will separate as you cook. If desired, remove from pan and dice into smaller pieces. Soak and rinse beans and add to pan of bacon followed by 5-6 cups of water. Add herbs, onions, garlic, sea salt, and pepper (I add to taste). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to 4 (med-low), cover and allow to simmer until all liquid is absorbed and beans are starting to "fry" in the pan. Mash beans as they cook. Enjoy immediately with fresh tortillas.

If you plan to make a large batch and save for reheating later, I'd add more fat so that the beans don't dry out. This could be accomplished with more bacon or added lard.

I intended to have a photo, but the kids gobbled these right up!

You can find my recipe for a yummy Gluten Free sausage & rice casserole over at Polka Dots.

No comments:

Post a Comment