My Weight Loss Blog

Search & Win

Visit My Gluten Free Living Blog

Looks Good In Polka Dots

Where it's not just about mothering, gluten free cooking and socially conscious living.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Soaked Pasta Noodles

We've been making everything from scratch... Hubs doesn't appreciate the taste of the traditional (red) whole wheat flour, so I've switched to white whole wheat. The first bag of King Arthurs White Whole Wheat I purchased was pricey! Recently, I was able to locate a better price, $3.45 for a 5lb bag ($0.19/cup vs. $0.13/cup). It still tastes like whole wheat... but Hubs says it's better than red whole wheat. The kids are loving taking turns helping mom mix up and roll out dough.

I've modified slightly a rustic noodle recipe found over at The Nourishing Gourmet... yes, I like that site A LOT.

3 cups whole white wheat flour ($0.57)
1 cup warm water
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar ($0.10)
2 Tbs olive oil ($0.25)

(Total $0.92) Sure I can buy pasta for $0.98/lb, but it won't be whole wheat, it won't be soaked and it would likely have unnecessary ingredients. Store bought pasta also won't bring the joy of pasta making with my kids.

Combine ingredients in a large bowl... I start with a wooden spoon and switch to hands in order to incorporate all the flour. The kids LOVE getting their hands in the dough.

Knead the dough a few times, until you have a smooth ball of dough. Allow it to rest on the counter for 24 hours (if possible).

Divide into 4 sections, roll out to desired thickness and cut into strips or squares (or get crazy and use small cookie cutters for shapes). You can allow pasta to air dry or boil right away. Add a teaspoon or two of kosher salt to your water prior to boiling, I also like to add another dash of olive oil to prevent sticking.

*As always, you may need more flour or liquid... add small amounts at a time until desired consistency is achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment