My Weight Loss Blog

Search & Win

Visit My Gluten Free Living Blog

Looks Good In Polka Dots

Where it's not just about mothering, gluten free cooking and socially conscious living.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Things We Eat Raw

I'm all for a more raw diet... afterall, there is no disputing that fresh food is good for you.  That said... I'm a moderate Mama and believe that 50-75% raw is a great way to go.

For 50% raw, just make sure half of your plate at each meal is raw.
To reach 75% add raw snacks.
Simple, No?

Things we eat raw:
Fresh fruit
Fresh veggies
Nuts & nut butters
Ice pops (that's another post)
Salsa
Guacomole
Dehydrated (under 106 degrees F) fruits, veggies, seed crackers/tortillas, and fruit leathers
Sprouts
Smoothies

Things I have no desire to eat raw:
Any recipe that requires multiple expensive ingredients
Kelp pasta
Faux anything


I often make pancakes or french toast for breakfast.  My children, like most, would eat until their belly aches if I let them.  So, we have a two rule.  Everyone gets two pancakes or two pieces of french toast.  The rest of breakfast is fresh fruit.  I slice up apples, oranges, bananas, etc... to fill them up.  Difficulty level to reach 50% raw- EASY

At lunch time, I serve a portion of pasta, sandwich or other "main" dish.  Then I add a large green salad, sliced fresh veggies (carrots, broccoli and snap peas are popular) and slice up some more fruit.  Difficulty reaching 50% raw- EASY

For snacks, enjoy a frozen ice pop (raw), bananas and almond butter, veggie sticks and dip, or a smoothie.  Difficulty reaching 100% raw- EASY (We try for one raw snack and one regular snack a day)

At dinner,  my husband wants MEAT.  I'm not much of a meat eater myself, but I can appreciate the need for a good protein.  Everyone eats a larger portion of the "main" dish at dinner alongside fresh garden salad, veggie sticks, fresh fruit salad (with a little real whip for dessert).  Enjoy a small glass of fresh juice made from carrots, apples and oranges.  Difficulty reaching 50% raw- EASY.

The kids always want a before bed snack, this is the perfect time to whip up a raw smoothie or give them another ice pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment